[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Apologies, and some reflections on requirements

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Tue Jul 5 15:34:33 UTC 2016

As a general rule, I only use the information when the domain owner is
also the criminal operator or a direct "service provider".  For
subdomains, say, for instance, dynamic DNS, it's another ball of wax.
That being said, the more often subdomains are used for criminality, the
more often security vendors use a heavy hand and just block the whole
thing.  That's the biggest reason new TLDs are often blacklisted or have
low reputations for at least the first year, the biggest purchaser of
domains under a new TLD are phishers.

So short answer, unless domain owner = part of criminal operation, I
usually don't pay attention unless some correlation can be drawn over a
large number of discrete incidents.

Rarely do I contact domain registrants directly.  More often then not
that just exposes me and my interests to the criminals in question and
the risks outweigh the rewards.

On 7/5/2016 10:29 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:

> Hey John,
>
> is it still helpful when the problem exists on a subdomain, a forum
> post, hacked sites, etc, i.e. all circumstances where the registrant
> is not the (only) user of the domain or only a service provider
> himself? In these cases, while you may need to be able to contact the
> registrant, knowing who he is is not really necessary to resolve the
> issue, correct?
>
> Best,
>
> Volker
>

> Am 05.07.2016 um 17:22 schrieb John Bambenek via gnso-rds-pdp-wg:
>>
>> As someone who uses this information to put people in prison, it is
>> not as useless as you may think it is even when it's "incorrect", or
>> for that matter "whois privacy protected".
>>

>> On 7/5/2016 4:08 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:
>>>
>>> Ultimately, everyone accessing the internet can be identified at the
>>> level of the access provider. The domain name is probably the most
>>> useless point to identify a user, as the domain name registrant may
>>> not even have to do anything with a specific use.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Volker

>>> Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
>>> Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
>>> Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net
>>>
>>> Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
>>> www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com
>>>
>>> Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
>>> www.facebook.com/KeySystems
>>> www.twitter.com/key_systems
>>>
>>> Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
>>> Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
>>> Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534
>>>
>>> Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
>>> www.keydrive.lu
>>>
>>> Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

>>> Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Volker A. Greimann
>>> - legal department -
>>>
>>> Key-Systems GmbH