[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] possible requirements from GAC / law enforcement recommended documents

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Thu Jul 14 20:10:07 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-14 13:03, Catalyst-Vaibhav Aggarwal wrote:
> For once why can we explore the idea
> of working with the law enforcement

A great many Registrars (and other organisations) work regularly with
legitimate LEAs on legitimate cases, subject to the appropriate
paperwork where necessary etc

I don't see anyone saying that will change or shouldn't be happening.

> and agree that it is imperative that
> we have a robust Whois Mechanism built into the system

Working with LEAs doesn't require there to be any more data than shown
at https://www.internic.net/whois.html
for a domain name, and probably not all of that detail

Investigating vehicle crime does not require a publicly published list
of who is in every car worldwide at any point in time

Investigating a financial crime does not require a publicly published
list of every bank account in existence along with their balance and
transaction history

Investigating a crime against a person does not require a publicly
published list of every individual alongside and their current verified
location

I would hope that you can see that it would probably increase the
potential for criminal activity not decrease it !

> in order to know
> our customers well.

What has knowing customers got to do with publishing data ? Every
credit-card issuer knows their customers, but none of that information
is publicly available for very valid reasons.

> We well law abiding citizens will be glad including corporations
> to furnish details of a verifiable identity.

Are you referring to the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" fallacy ?

Here is a counter idea...

I'll acquiesce to have my verified personal details published in a
globally accessible data directory, in exchange for 2 small, almost
inconsequential items in return:

1. the corresponding verified personal details of everyone who ever
accesses my information also to be published alongside my data,
similarly accessible for anyone/everyone to see.
i.e. Lets "balance" the level of data-sharing.

2. 50-50 "profit share" of any income derived from the direct or
indirect use of my details, and all transactions, source of the funds,
payees/payers and so on to be equally as public and published in the
directory for audit and transparrency reasons
i.e. Lets "balance" the level of monetisation/use

Rob
Rob Golding   rob.golding at astutium.com
Astutium Ltd, Number One Poultry, London. EC2R 8JR

* domains * hosting * vps * servers * cloud * backups *