[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] possible requirements from GAC / law enforcement recommended documents

Rod Rasmussen rrasmussen at infoblox.com
Thu Jul 14 20:12:41 UTC 2016

Team,

I would suggest that instead of continuing this particular thread that seems to be a back-and-forth about the interpretation and motivations of the LEA “recommended possible requirements” document (note the title), that all members of the work party simply read the very straight-forward two page document and come to their own conclusions about its contents.  It should take no more than a couple minutes.  I’m sure that we can discuss further the reasons/goals/uses cases for the particular asks the LEA team made in that document as part of our further deliberative process down the line, but for now, this document is very succinct in naming various POTENTIAL data gathering/maintenance and display requirements that involve RDS elements plus some others likely unrelated to the RDS, but with impact on domain registrars.  As such it is a very good example of a list of potential requirements, but due to its brevity doesn’t supply the reasoning/use cases behind the requests.  That’s fine, since we have members of this WP who either helped draft this document or provided advice and input into it who we can tap to flesh out the stories behind the requests once that time arrives.  That goes for almost all the requirements and documents we are gathering right now - the whole point in having a diverse WP membership is to bring perspective to the often dry or sparse documentation we do have to work with to better inform our understanding of what different requirements and requests are trying to accomplish.  Understanding those needs may lead to accepting the need/recommendation, accepting the need but providing a different approach, or rejecting the need and thus the recommended actions.  Ascribing motives and/or accepting/rejecting needs/requirements/requests at this stage of the game is thus premature and counter-productive to our overall work plan, so I would respectfully request that we refrain from doing so until we reach the part of our work plan where we actually can shed full light on various issues so we can weigh them fully and with as little bias as possible, and go through that part of the process in an orderly fashion.

Best,

Rod Rasmussen
VP, Cybersecurity

-  <http://www.infoblox.com/>-