[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] An important technical consideration about nature of the service (was Re: The overflowing list )

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 20 16:41:37 UTC 2016

I realize that this discussion is premature but it is very important.
Despite our reliance in this group on the work of the EWG, it is
important to note a few things that we addressed in a very insufficient
manner in that report, and in my view they are deal-breakers:

1)  How to authenticate law enforcement, private cybersecurity actors,
and lawyers/paralegals when they are requesting access to greater levels
of detail.  Court orders cover only certain cases, most are not
covered.  Who are they, what do they get, why do they get it, and how do
you audit what they actually did?  THese are to my non technical mind,
separate authentication issues.  The actors need to be authenticated,
the request needs to be signed and authenticated as coming from an
appropriate authority, the scope needs to be established and signed, the
trail needs to be auditable (and thus authenticated).  Guys like Brad
Malin who have done interesting work on anonymization of hospital
records have tackled these problems, but I cannot imagine how we apply
it to this honking big global system.

2)  Nation states do not sign MLATS with all countries.  Why would ICANN
engineer a system that overrides national sovereignty and permits actors
in untrusted jurisdictions to request data they could not get through
another country's justice department?

3) Limiting the scope of data search.  Given the nature of cybercrime
and intellectual property abuse/crime, is it not the case that requests
will be very expansive in scope?  If I understand Scott's intervention,
he is working on a standard that will actually limit data elements to
those relevant.  The problem is, how does one determine what is
relevant?  As mentioned in this thread, some things lend themselves to
technical intervention better than others.  I have spoken to a former
federal court judge in our own jurisdiction who admitted it was
impossible to tell from the applications for Court orders what was
actually being requested, and one of our Federal Court judges was
actually recently taking our Solicitor General to court for not telling
the truth in its applications.  Bottom line, it is hard to limit scope
in human space, let alone on a system.  Furthermore, the examples I
mention here are from Canada, where despite the protests of those of us
in civil society, the degree of abuse of surveillance is somewhat
limited.  We have to build a system that is resilient in all possible
cases where abuse might be expected (Please do not tell me I am
catastrophizing here, we are talking about fundamental human rights and
due process, it is important to be cautious.)  I would love it if we
could figure out how to do this automatically as a request comes in, and
there is work on AI in the legal sphere that might be useful....but it
is years away from actually working according to the most recent
material on robotics that I have seen.

4)  Jurisdiction. There are important recent cases on jurisdiction, some
of which found their way on to our massive document list.  The EWG gave
only a cursory glance at jurisdiction, in my view, and it is a very hard
problem.  We discussed location of the RDS in basic terms (eg. does the
jurisdiction have privacy law). Human rights are safeguarded in our
respective constitutions, criminal procedure, and Charters of rights.
Moving data outside of the individual's jurisdiction usually guts those
rights.  Data localization is not the answer, assuring a universal high
standard of protection of basic rights is the answer.  hard to do.

Stephanie Perrin