[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] OT Re: An important technical consideration about nature of the service (was Re: The overflowing list )

Sivasubramanian M 6.Internet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 13:19:34 UTC 2016

Dear Andrew,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 06:02:26PM +0530, Sivasubramanian M wrote:
>
> > ​That would be a problem for me as a Registrant from another country, if
> my
> > country were to provide stronger safeguards against the release of my
> data
> > to LEA.
>
> So don't do business with an Irish company?

​​As a Registrant, I don't make the choice to do business with the Irish
Company, but the Registrar who registered my domain name or the Registry
that operates that domain name at the Top Level makes that decision. I am
not concerned about this business decision until I come to know
(immediately or after 30 years, if as Michelle says he wouldn't be able to
tell me if the orders were delivered in a sealed envelope) that the Irish
Company released my data to the Irish LEA.  I would pay due obedience to
the Laws of Ireland or to any other country if I reside there, not when my
data resides there, especially when I haven't made the choice to store my
data in Ireland. My consent for release of my data to the LEA in Ireland is
not implied any way in the decision of the Registrar/Registry.

> Surely we're not going to
> ​ ​
> use RDS policies to try to make every company providing anything
> ​ ​
> anywhere do exactly the same thing?

​Policies to make every company providing anything anywhere​ do exactly the
same thing?  Why not?

Sivasubramanian M