[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Example Use case

Rod Rasmussen rrasmussen at infoblox.com
Sun Jul 24 23:58:59 UTC 2016

To talk about this a bit more from the work we did on the EWG, since our task was to rethink whois from the ground up, we did delve into use cases that either are impossible or very difficult to accomplish with the current system.  Many of the “potential use cases” were brought by having experts representing different types of stakeholders, users, registrants, ecosystem participants etc. as part of the group itself, and others were brought in from direct feedback from various stakeholder groups.

So, for example, use cases around how corporations track and manage their hundreds to thousands of domains across multiple TLDs and registrars, which represent a large chunk of the 300+ million domain names currently registered, is very difficult today, were presented; and various ways a new RDS could make that much more efficient for everyone in the ecosystem were included.  Another great example was how a new RDS could be use to protect one’s identity (name/address/e-mail) from being used to falsely register a domain name, which is frankly impossible today and leads to direct personal harm, can be enacted using various credentialing systems.  And of course, the many use cases that tied to tiered access in order to enable the ability of those who desire to have their personal data protected properly and proportionately, are mostly “new thinking” versus today’s situation.  It is very important that we continue that thinking as part of this WG, since this is our opportunity to “fix” many of the ills that the antiquated registration data system has.

As with many other topics I see debated on this list that I consider a near complete rehash of things that are well covered in the main documents we kicked this group off with, especially the EWG reports, I cannot stress enough how much of this work is already done and many of the issues pretty fully explored in those documents.  PLEASE review and and read those primary documents if you haven’t done so already, particularly if you want to weigh in on a topic on this list, and use them as a basis for your agreement, disagreement, starting point, etc. as it will make this process all the better and more expeditious.

Thanks all - good discussions occurring even if some of them are ahead of schedule - would be great to stay focused on bringing things together for this stage rather than debating stuff we know is coming, so we can get there faster, but at least those threads have been largely germane.

Cheers,

Rod Rasmussen
VP, Cybersecurity

-  <http://www.infoblox.com/>-