[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat for RDS PDP WG call 26 July 2016 16:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Tue Jul 26 21:38:11 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the Next-Gen RDS PDP Working group call held on Tuesday, 26 July 2016 at 16:00 UTC.

 Mp3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-26jul16-en.mp3
<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-14jun16-en.mp3>

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/4gqbAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday, 26 July 2016

 Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the Next-Gen RDS PDP WG Meeting on Tuesday, 26, July 2016 at 16:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda: https://community.icann.org/x/4gqbAw
  Michelle DeSmyter:: If you do wish to speak during the call, please either dial into the audio bridge and give the operator the password RDS, OR click on the telephone icon at the top of the AC room to activate your AC mics. Please remember to mute your phone and mics when not talking.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Member page: https://community.icann.org/x/I4xlAw
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):is it possible to add comment to confluence page?
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):for use cases (https://community.icann.org/display/NGRDSTRWMO/RDS+PDP+WG+Example+Use+Cases) or do I need to send the comment to the list?
  Chuck Gomes:Welcome all
  Ayden Férdeline:Hello all
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello Everyone
  Lisa Phifer:@Maxim, comments should be submitted on email list
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Lisa Thanks
  Stephanie Perrin:Just how often does Adobe need to update itself?
  Ayden Férdeline:@Stephanie: Adobe has a a never-ending string of security vulnerabilities to be corrected. Flash player on my computer seems to need to update itself once a fortnight... if not more frequently ;-)
  Stephanie Perrin:Thanks Ayden, one really does start to wonder.  Plus, how the heck do I know if it is really Adobe and not some scammer offering me malware?
  Fabricio Vayra:Can't hear you, Alex.
  Stephanie Perrin:When it happens every two weeks it does start to feel like an attack....
  Susan Kawaguchi:sorry my call dropped
  Susan Kawaguchi:Alex sent a new draft to the group last night
  Susan Kawaguchi:having trouble with my phone
  Mary Wong:We can hear you now, Alex, thanks
  Susan Kawaguchi:back
  Alan Greenberg:May we see thew document(s)?
  Fabricio Vayra:Thanks, Alex!
  Ayden Férdeline:etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/gnso-rds-pbstatement-0
  Ayden Férdeline:i am very confused as to who is leading the PB Statement work
  Alex Deacon:@ayden.  I'm not sure - but am willing to assist come to a conclusion in the next week.
  Susan Kawaguchi:James Gannon had taken the lead
  Ayden Férdeline:excellent work @Stephanie
  Patrick Lenihan:Impressive effort, @Stephanie!
  Klaus Stoll:Well done Stephanie!
  karnika seth:I found the mapping logical Stephanie!
  Fabricio Vayra:@Stephanie - So as to not lose the work already done, can your suggestion coexist with that's already been done?
  Fabricio Vayra:@Chuck.  Thanks for confirming.
  Fabricio Vayra:@Stephanie - Makes sense. Thanks.
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it could be usefull to use singel sheet and use UP ... PR as filter keys as well - also it will help to understand overlaps visually
  Stephanie Perrin:Ah ha, that makes sense if it is internationalization.  INternalization did not make sense to me.
  Ayden Férdeline:I would prefer that we settle on one, higher-level framework.
  Stephanie Perrin:This list can have many things added....as I said, Susan's list was a partial list and I have not added other items not mentioned.
  Klaus Stoll:Two lists would just be too confusing. Keep it  straight forward
  Sam Lanfranco NPOC/CSIH:Is there a possibility of a lykert scale type metric for each category (and use-case) that ranks the key words/taxonomy is terms of relevance within ICANN's remit? Much of the use-case discussion has been about whether the case is inside or outside the ICANN remit. Since there is disagreement over scope here a lykert rank number, with "whiskers" to measure lack of consensus, would be useful. It one thing to think that somethng should be "in" or "out" and another to understand, for example LEA, what resides in whose remit.
  Kal Feher:unless a relevent survey has already been completed, you'd need to survey everyone on every item in order to have your lykert metric.
  Sam Lanfranco NPOC/CSIH:The lykert values could be living values reflecting the sense of the WG, and not a static survey of some identified population.
  karnika seth:i think keywords would be certainly helpful apart from categories
  Fabricio Vayra:@Karnika - Agreed!
  Susan Prosser 2:agree Karnika
  Stephanie Perrin:This is a coding system.
  Stephanie Perrin:Good because i will be coming in with more requirements when I finish my homework....
  Richard Padilla:Hi all managed to free up my schedule so I can make the meeting
  Kal Feher:@sam to be true lykert values, you'd need a survey, that's the point with lykert metrics and is what is supposed to separate them from an opinion. a less rigorous method may be of value, if it could easily capture agreement/dissent
  Stephanie Perrin:I will work on it after the meeting.  Should be quick.
  Fabricio Vayra:Sounds like a lot of subjectivity, unfortunately.
  Vicky Sheckler:sorry i have to run
  Fabricio Vayra:Agreed that keywords are needed in addition to balance out the subjectivity involved.  Thanks Stephanie.
  Susan Kawaguchi:but the categories should relate to the PRs submitted
  Stephanie Perrin:AS long as you recognize that selection of keywords is subjective, probably more so.
  Fabricio Vayra:@Chuck - We can use it in support of our points
  Lisa Phifer:There is a charter question on risk with its own table of PRs - it just hasn't yet been triaged
  Lisa Phifer:The first 5 questions were triaged first because they are first in the work plan. However all 11 questions are in the Word document and can be added to and triaged at any time. We just broke a chunk off to start with.
  Kal Feher:@chuck to me they are simply search aids, so I could use both or none at all. I'll still be searching the item list and probably the docs as well when deliberate on each topic.
  Ayden Férdeline:If there are going to be too many subcategories, I think that this document will loose its usefulness.
  Susan Kawaguchi:+1 to Kal
  Lisa Phifer:Presumably additional values can be added to every category as the WG finds them useful?
  Stephanie Perrin:That was the plan, yes Lisa!
  karnika seth:thankyou for clarifying this further greg
  Lisa Phifer:Just search for "permissible users" - there are quite a few, we can look for them if the category is desired
  Stephanie Perrin:As I indicated, I did not think of new things, simply categorized what I saw as there.  Potential users might be a good category if you see requirements that talk about them
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:Whose is Representing the LEA ?
  Stephanie Perrin:Exactly
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:LEA is regional in nature so is there a consultation
  karnika seth:chuck i totally agree !
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:I feel Interpol will be best to be Involved
  Stephanie Perrin:If they have not joined, it is not for lack of notice about this group.
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:I wonder Y
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:;-)
  Greg Shatan:I see a number of requirements that refer to or infer the issue relating to user identification.
  Greg Shatan:Unless we believe in ghosts, all uses have users attached to them....
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:YEs
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:and they are Interinked
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:*Interlinked
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:like a Web
  karnika seth:Chuck its fairly easy to understand example use cases...excellent approach  !
  Mary Wong:Please remember to mute your mic if you're not speaking.
  karnika seth:your voice is echoing chuck
  Kal Feher:It appears we were all unmuted a few moments ago
  Ayden Férdeline:This particular use case could be divided into multiple use cases. I would suggest we consider each particular use case separately: copyright infringement claims, identify theft claims, defamation claims, etc.
  Stephanie Perrin:I would agree with Ayden, it is a very large set of potential use cases
  Kal Feher:should motivation matter if the data required is the same?
  Shane Kerr:This use case does seem excellent in that it is a use case that is not a core DNS requirement, but an artifact of the way WHOIS is used today.
  karnika seth:surely we can break thye case into different use cases depending on nature of legal action and user
  Kal Feher:I've noticed the same stephanie
  Shane Kerr:Yes, use cases typically start with the actors and what they are trying to get. :)
  karnika seth:we may need gated access
  Shane Kerr:We don't currently have a protocol to deliver court orders or warrants or the like.
  Shane Kerr::(
  Ayden Férdeline:If I go off of the scenario on the screen, a party claims a registrant has defamed them. Well, what constitutes defamation varies wildly across jurisdictions. Ultimately, my view is that everyone has the right to hold opinions without interference, so I would hope that the RDS is not being used to abuse this principle.
  Lisa Phifer:for what it's worth, the EWG developed separate cases for offline and online criminal activity, for IP theft, for identity theft.
  Lisa Phifer:Looking at those cases helped to identify commonality and differences that were important (such as actors)
  Lisa Phifer:Actors were key to gated access recommendations
  Kal Feher:@steve +1
  Shane Kerr:LEA vs non-LEA: surely that depends on the company? Some companies treat all requestors identically - if you have a court order then you get access, otherwise not. ;)
  karnika seth:chuck you are correct !
  Greg Shatan:@Ayden, defamation involves false statements of fact, not opinions.  I believe that's fairly consistent across jurisdictions.
  Alex Deacon:If the EWG already has developed more granular use cases we should leverage those.
  Greg Shatan:Agree with Alex, we don't need to reinvent the wheel.
  Stephanie Perrin:We were encouraged to select from the EWG, by all means put them forward gentlemen.
  Ayden Férdeline:@Greg: Defamation laws are also used to stifle debate and persecute individuals.
  Stephanie Perrin:However there are new ones that require new thinking....surely since we have all read the EWG, that is a major focus of our work now.
  Shane Kerr:Surely whether a domain is infringing is out of scope for this working group?
  Lisa Phifer:@Alex, Greg - would you like to receive specific EWG use cases? A list of use cases drafted was circulated but they were never published, as they were early drafts
  steve metalitz:@Karnika, not sure that question is within scope of this group.
  Greg Shatan:@Lisa, may as well.
  karnika seth:who is includes registrar information aswell
  Shane Kerr:I agree with Alan. :)
  Alex Deacon:I believe we should  submit all EWG use cases into our work - as a starting point.
  Lisa Phifer:@Greg, just don't want to spam you all with 50+ rough drafts, so if you tell me what's of interest, will provide it
  Stephanie Perrin:Agree, we should select from the list.  Those use cases are not necessarily authoritative.
  karnika seth:it could be a question when discussing risk
  Greg Shatan:@Lisa, that sounds scary.  A non-repetitive collection of the draft use cases would be great.
  Sam Lanfranco NPOC/CSIH:Have to go. Thanks to all!
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Alex.  Why recreate the wheel?
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I think we forgot Service cases - please add me (for URS / UDRP/Escrow Operator/ICANN Audit e.t.c)
  Fabricio Vayra:EWG spent a lot of time on use cases ... if you have something to add, add it, but lets use EWG as baseline and not recreate the wheel.
  Lisa Phifer:@Maxim, will add that to table of volunteers
  steve metalitz:@Chuck (or staff), when will go/no go decision be made on a F2F meeting in Hyderabad?
  Lisa Phifer:@Greg, see list in EWG report excerpt. They are non-repetitive (for the most part) but numerous
  Mary Wong:@Chuck, that is correct - most likely 2 half-day meetings for 2 PDP Working Groups, on Day One (3 Nov).
  Rod Rasmussen:There are a ton of "different" types of use cases there that haven't been the main focus of the discussions of this PDP WG contained in the EWG work.  For example, digital CERTs, domain portfolio management for large domain holders, anti-spoofing of registrants, prevention of assigning domains to nameservers without permission - all kinds of terrific use cases that are both current and potential that would make registering, using, and managing domains far better.
  Beth Allegretti:Do we know what day the F2F will take place?
  Mary Wong:Yes
  Greg Shatan:Sounds like we do need to expand the use cases considerably.  This may need a taxonomy of its own....
  Mary Wong:3 Nov
  Fabricio Vayra:+1 Rod.  We should add here and not recreate the wheel and use up effort when work was already done.
  Mary Wong:Thursday
  Susan Prosser 2:agree, Rod,  EWG covered broader perspective
  Richard Padilla:Guys got to go see you next week hopefully
  Sara Bockey 2:thanks all!
  Fabricio Vayra:Thanks!
  karnika seth:thankyou all for your valuable inputs !
  Ayden Férdeline:thanks all
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:Thanks Team
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:Catchyou soon
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:GN :-)