[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Use cases: Fundamental, Incidental, and Theoretical

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed Jul 27 13:42:36 UTC 2016

Shane,

Thanks for your thoughts and in particular your categorization of use cases.

I want to point out that use cases are not an end in themselves but rather a means to help us understand the issues related to various possible RDS requirements that we will be considering.  So I do not think that we need to accept or reject use cases.  We will though have to accept or reject or modify possible RDS requirements in our deliberation phase and that is where some of your arguments will come into play.

The WG could decide to only approve requirements that are actually needed for DNS or it could decide to not be so restrictive but decisions in that regard will be made in our deliberation step (Work Plan task 12).

In our discussion of use cases it is of course appropriate to accept or reject elements of them but not for the goal of making any final decisions.

Chuck