[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Sign-Up Sheet - Task 8

齐超 qichao at teleinfo.cn
Tue Jun 7 15:52:06 UTC 2016

Dear All,

    This mail has not be sent successfully yesterday, so I resend it now . If you have received yet, please forgive me.

   My homework is reading "How to Improve WHOIS Data Accuracy" from Mr Lanre Ajayi in http://www.circleid.com/posts/20141105_how_to_improve_whois_data_accuracy/.

In my opinion, Validator is a system beyond current RDS. It help to make RDS accurate our but has no requirement for RDS content.

Abstract
Mr Lanre Ajayi raised two approaches to improve WHOIS data accuracy[1]:
1. incent contacts to input accurate data;
2. device a mechanism to detect inaccurate inputted data.

The incentives for registrants to input accurate data in RDS is
1. build a 'gate' between privacy and public data.[2]
2. update contact data easily and automatically.[3]

Validator[4] Mechanism to detect invalid data. Validator must validate the contact data and give an unique contact ID to contact data[5]. Registries or registrars can use the contact ID and its data from validator, need not validate it[6]. Validator is not official proof validation and is optional to registrants[7].

Reference
[1] "The first was to create necessary measures that give incentives to contact holders (Registrants and Purpose Based Contacts) to input accurate data in the system. The second was to device a mechanism to detect inaccurate data when inputted in the system."

[2]" It makes it harder for criminals to access sensitive data by putting all sensitive data behind a series of "gates" which are only accessible to authenticated users with permissible purposes. Registrants are able to control their own personal data. They determine which data they want behind each gate and which data can be publicly displayed to anonymous requestors."

[3]"Updating contacts is greatly simplified. The system allows contact holders to easily update their data and such updates to be automatically applied to every affected domain own by the registrant."

[4]"Validators would specialize in collecting, validating, and storing contact data (postal address, email address, phone, fax, SMS numbers, etc.) which shall be made available by the RDS only to authorized requestors."

[5]"In the proposed RDS, a contact holder would interface with its chosen validator to enter its data elements. For example, I might decide to create a contact for myself using a validator in my own country, entering my addresses and telephone number through a local-language user interface. Once I created a contact with my own data, the validator assigns a unique ID to that contact data."

[6]"Unless they chose to become a validator, registrars and registries wouldn't have to reinvent or buy validation tools."

[7]"The EWG did not propose that identity validation be required, or that contacts be forced to show government IDs or any other proof of identity when creating a contact. In fact, our final report supports use of contacts created by accredited privacy and proxy services, so that registrants would still have the option of not entering their own contact data, instead designating a third party willing to serve as a contact for that domain name."