[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat from Next-Gen RDS PDP WG call 07 June 2016 16:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Tue Jun 7 19:28:45 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the Next-Gen RDS PDP Working group call held on Tuesday, 07 June 2016 at 16:00 UTC.

 Mp3:http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-07jun16-en.mp3
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-nextgen-rds-24may16-en.mp3>

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#nov>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/OBiOAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday, 07 June 2016

  Michelle DeSmyter:Dear all, welcome to the Next-Gen RDS PDP WG Meeting on 07 June 2016 16:00 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:member page/SOI: https://community.icann.org/x/I4xlAw
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda page: https://community.icann.org/x/OBiOAw
  Michelle DeSmyter:If you do wish to speak during the call, please either dial into the audio bridge and give the operator the password RDS, OR click on the telephone icon at the top of the AC room to activate your AC mics. Please remember to mute your phone and mics when not talking.
  Chuck Gomes:Welcome everyone
  Susan Kawaguchi:Good morning!
  Sana Ali:Good afternoon :)
  Farell FOLLY:good afternoon chuck
  Vlad Dinculescu:Good evening all
  Farell FOLLY:hello all
  Nathalie Coupet:hello all
  Chuck Gomes:Let's give it 1-2 minutes as people are still joining
  Klaus Stoll:Eveing all. Sorry I will have to disconnect after an hour.
  andrew sullivan:Grr.  Flash must die
  Fabricio Vayra:good morning
  Maryan Rizinski:Hello everyone
  Greg Shatan:With apologies I will need to leave at :30 due to a work commitment.
  Farell FOLLY:yes
  Farell FOLLY:I updated my SOI reflectinh that I am affiliated with NPOC and NCUC but on the publised list of members, this change is not reflected
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):With apologies I will need to leave early at the top of the hour.
  Chuck Gomes:Thanks Farell.
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:On Now. Hi Guys :-)
  Ankur Raheja:Hello
  Jeffrey Eckhaus:hello all
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):I am having audio problems with AdobeConnect.  I'm going to dial in the phone too now
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):As soon as I can find the number...
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:There was a Connection Reset
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:We will have to logout and log in
  Jeffrey Eckhaus:i am having audio probalems as well with Adobe, will log in/out , see if that helps
  Jeffrey Eckhaus:success!
  Jim Galvin (Afilias):I already tried logout/login, after the connection reset.  Would not let me control audio.  I'm now also on the phone so audio is back.
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:hmmm
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:we are all Observers now :-)
  Greg Shatan:Please MUTE if you are not speaking.
  Greg Shatan:And especially if you are typing
  Greg Shatan:Can someone mute the Mad Typist.
  Kiran Malancharuvil:Can the operator mute whoever is typing?
  Jeffrey Eckhaus:some very aggressive typing
  Susan Kawaguchi:someone is typing can you mute your phone?
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:@Jeff - Angry Birds
  Maryan Rizinski:Great typing skills by the way :-)
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL::-)
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:We sould have this group on What app too
  Klaus Stoll:I can not connect my audi. Strange worked before
  Fabricio Vayra:I am happy to take a lead for INTA, COA, IPC (the latter if Greg doesn't already take this)
  Scott Hollenbeck (Verisign):We seem to have lost the ability to mute microphones in Adobe Connect...
  Scott Hollenbeck (Verisign):at least I have
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:I can Too
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:Volunteer
  Nathalie Coupet:No sorry, I was volunterring
  Klaus Stoll:I can help to connect with NPOC
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:Audio BAck
  Nathalie Coupet:I'm on mute
  Scott Hollenbeck (Verisign):Fixed
  Greg Shatan:Fab, happy to let you take care of all 3!
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:You deide
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:decide
  Beth Allegretti:I'll volunteer for the BC
  Nathalie Coupet:For all 3
  Susan Kawaguchi:Thanks Beth!
  Farell FOLLY:Chuck can you repeat the question ?
  Farell FOLLY:I miss up.. due to loss of connectivity
  Greg Shatan:FYI, I think Chuck is looking for volunteers from within groups to serve as liaisons to those groups.
  Nathalie Coupet:Please repeat the ?
  Lisa Phifer:Chuck please note volunteers must be formally affiilated with the group they do outreach to
  Greg Mounier 2:Hi everyone, I will liaise with the GAC PSWG.
  Klaus Stoll:I will get the permission from the NPOC Excom
  Fabricio Vayra:will Lisa codify who is liaison for which group and circulate that list?
  Lisa Phifer:@Fab, recording in meeting notes and yes will circulate
  Lisa Phifer:@GregM, is that GAC or just GAC PSWG?
  Farell FOLLY:good, Klauss ;) I support you
  Greg Mounier 2:@Greg I am the liaison of the Public Safety Working Group of the GAC but our input will have to be endorsed by the GAC which my take some time.
  Marika Konings:@Vaihab - please see the list on the screen
  Sara Bockey:If we don't have a volunteer for RrSG and no one else is interested, I can volunteer
  Greg Mounier 2:@Lisa sorry for the typos... :-)
  Lisa Phifer:Link to this page on wiki is https://community.icann.org/x/J4xlAw
  Marika Konings:https://community.icann.org/x/J4xlAw
  Lisa Phifer:Any volunteers from NCSG, ALAC, CSG?
  Sara Bockey:Sounds good! Thanks Chuck
  Farell FOLLY:NCSG : me
  Nathalie Coupet:ALAC: me
  Lisa Phifer:Also RySG, SSAC
  steve metalitz:2 of the CSG constituencies are covered.  This is handled on the constituency level.
  Lisa Phifer:@Steve, thanks
  Nathalie Coupet:Can I be considered affiliated to ALAC, because I am a member of ISOC-NY?
  Marika Konings:@Nathalie - you are not identified as an ALAC member on the attendance list. Should this be corrected?
  Nathalie Coupet:I guess
  Marika Konings:@Nathalie - I suggest you check with the ALAC as it is not a determination we are able to make
  Nathalie Coupet:ISOC-NY is a member of At-Large
  Greg Shatan:With apologies, I need to leave the call  Bye all.  Sorry I can't eat my lunch with the microphone on.
  Marika Konings:In any case it would need to be At-Large as ALAC (as Chuck says ;-)
  Lisa Phifer:@Nathalie, visit https://atlarge.icann.org/alac to learn more about how to join that group
  Nathalie Coupet:@Lisa: Thank you
  Fabricio Vayra:if you're not Chuck, mute your line
  Fabricio Vayra::)
  Maryan Rizinski:Is there a way for newcomer individuals not affiliated to any of these groups to take part of the process? For example, as supporters, co-volunteers or observers to the work done by any of the WG members that already signed up? This would help us gain some extra experience. Thanks.
  Stephanie Perrin:Apologies for being late.
  Lisa Phifer:@maryan, if there's a group of interest to you, you may want to sit in on their meeting in Helsinki or inquire about doing so?
  Maryan Rizinski:Hi Marika, I understand, thanks for your feedback. Hi Lisa, yes, that sounds great!
  steve metalitz:Have we taken a census yet ofhow many WG members plan to attend either of the Helsinki sessions in person or remotely?
  Nathalie Coupet:@Chuck: Should we also look at the exploitable weaknesses of JSON to extract a few more possible requirements?
  Lisa Phifer:@Steve, we can take a poll if you lwish
  andrew sullivan:Could I make a modest suggestion, that WG members not speak so much as just ask a provocative question to try to elicit wider community discussion?
  Lisa Phifer:@Andrew, we hope that WG members will suggest a possible rqeuirement of interest to them which both illusrates what kind of input we are asking for - and will be provactive!
  andrew sullivan:yes, but I was hearing Chuck's point, which is that we need to be extremely brief or it'll look like insiders talking to themselves in public
  andrew sullivan:which is approximately the most boring thing in the world
  andrew sullivan:I think the legitimacy here would be improved if we maximised the contributions from non-WG people in order to get more input
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:Good Question
  Marika Konings:if there are any provocative questions we could gather those in advance?
  Kiran Malancharuvil:Hi Stephanie, How is that different from what happened in PPSAI?
  andrew sullivan:So, to what Stephanie is saying, for instance, instead of talking about a requirement, ask that question about the privacy issues.
  Lisa Phifer:I think that's the 11 charter questions
  Marika Konings:and keeping in mind the limitations of the charter ;-)
  Kiran Malancharuvil:And what exactly is an "illiterate assembly"?
  Fabricio Vayra:@Steph. it's bottom up and if we don't do outreach, as you know, people complain
  andrew sullivan:or maybe say, "What are the privacy considerations here?"  And then be quiet and let people (non-WG members) talk
  andrew sullivan:The point I was trying to make is just that I don't think it's helpful to hold a session of talking to selves in public.  If the community isn't talking, we can end early
  Fabricio Vayra:complete faith in you, Chuck, to keep it productive
  andrew sullivan:(I think the chances that we're not going to get feedback are low, but I think that if we start talking people will stay seated to be polite.)
  Stephanie Perrin:precisely, as Kathy has just said
  Lisa Phifer:Please note I simply read the charter questions - there's no order implied
  Fabricio Vayra:@Lisa and Chuck. thanks for the clarity here. very good. no confusion at all.
  Stephanie Perrin:The first step to answer the privacy question, is don't collect the data in the first place.
  Fabricio Vayra:@Steph, not really. it's come up with a purpose and make sure what you collect meets your purpose
  Stephanie Perrin:Obviously that is nuanced by the fact that you need to collect data to fulfill the purpose, which we have not decided (step 12)
  Stephanie Perrin:Right Fab.  We dont have the purpose yet.  What we are doing is brainstorming a data smorgasbord.
  Stephanie Perrin:Then we have to turn around and try to tell people they cannot have the dish on the table....
  Fabricio Vayra:need to know possible reasons to use to develop proper purpose. which will come during deliberation, as Chuck pointed to.
  Stephanie Perrin:That would certainly be an American approach to data....what could we possibly use all this data for, how can we monetize it.  Where are all the potential users/markets.
  andrew sullivan:I don't know that it helps us to describe these approaches in national terms
  Susan Kawaguchi:unfortunately, I have to drop off
  Fabricio Vayra:@Steph. totally mischaracterized.
  Fabricio Vayra:@Andrew +1
  andrew sullivan:That is not to say that I do not share the concern about defining the value of the data and then whittling it down
  andrew sullivan:the right way to approach data collection, if you're worried about privacy, is to figure out what problem you have and then identify only that data you need
  Fabricio Vayra:@Andrew. agreed. which is why we are throwing out the problems etc.
  andrew sullivan:yes
  VAIBHAV AGGARWAL:We should Also Request everyone to Update Pictures (Latest) in the SOIs
  Stephanie Perrin:Unfortunately the struggle over data protection for the past 30 years has been largely a US vs EU battle.  I agree that it is not helpful to  bring nation states into it by name, and I apologize if anyone is offended. However, the root question regarding the collection of data varies between those who are primarily concerned with the rights of the data owner/principal, and those who wish to use it/monetize it.
  Daniel K. Nanghaka:Hellos
  Daniel K. Nanghaka:I am currently in Botswana and am not available on the audio bridge
  andrew sullivan:@Stephanie: I know that's how it's often described in the data-protection field.  I think there may be some additional nuances that are relevant to this case and that aren't captured by that dichotomy
  Stephanie Perrin:+1 Andrew, it also helps to minimize your operating costs and security risks.
  andrew sullivan:so I think it would be better to avoid these kinds of description in favour of things like "minimal collection" vs "maximal collection and protection" vs "maximal collection and maximal availability" and so on
  Lisa Phifer:@Andrew you will find those in the possible requirements list :-)
  Sana Ali:Am I correct in observing that we dont have founational principles in place, that would allow us to carry out a cost benefit analysis with regards to each user/purpose- what is our end goal with the outcome? 'Public interest'/ a healthy impediment-free business environent/mximized access to info/maximum security?
  andrew sullivan:yes, exactly :)
  Fabricio Vayra:@Andrew. thanks!
  Stephanie Perrin:That +1 was to your earlier remark Andrew, but I also agree with your last comment.  I am forced to boil this down to a dichotomy to express my frustration with the risks we are creating by this free for all approach to brainstorming.  It makes the matter far too complex for those who are not experts in certain aspects of this field.
  Nathalie Coupet:Where could I find these surveys on WHOIS Chuck mentioned?
  Lisa Phifer:@Sana, yes, risk assessment is part of our charter but cannot be usefully performed until there are some recommendations on the table to assess
  Maryan Rizinski:Sana, good question
  Lisa Phifer:@Nathalie, they are on the key input documents list
  Lisa Phifer:See the WHOIS studies section
  Nathalie Coupet:Thank you
  Nathalie Coupet:Bye
  andrew sullivan:bye
  Vlad Dinculescu:thanks all