[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS 5 Charter questions

Rob Golding rob.golding at astutium.com
Thu Jun 16 22:55:28 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-16 15:09, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
> Part of discussing original purpose of the
> collection, use and disclosure of registration data is to determine,
> in 2016 and for the foreseeable future, why we collect information,
> what is legally permissible to collect, and who will pay for that
> collection (in one form or another).

^ this exactly

There is no point in discussing things like access levels to data until
you know what data there even might be.

I've seen way too many dev projects where massive amounts of time has
been wasted creating a framework for 5 different levels of users, before
looking at whether any of those actually apply to the proposed system
and whether any will actually need to use it !

This is ultimately a case of "database design" - there is a reason that
starts with the word data, beginning with anything else is a mistake

Rob