[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] The States are Getting into the Act

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Wed Jun 22 19:42:17 UTC 2016

Chuck,

This is where there is a single major disagreement. We all agree that
"ICANN is all of the SOs and ACs and SGs and Cs; [and] it is not just
staff or the Board". That is not the issue. The source of disagreement
is over whether or not that inclusive multistakeholder ICANN has total
domain over the RDS system within the larger scope of Internet
governance, or instead, ICANN only has domain over the RDS system within
its well delineated remit.

The disagreement is with regard to the wider remit of Internet
governance beyond ICANN. That wider remit includes individual national
Internet policy and regional/global (UN/multilateral) Internet policy.
For worse or better, that wider remit may dominate ICANN policy
implementation. In that wider Internet governance remit ICANN (inclusive
and multistakeholder) is a vested interest "third party" stakeholder.
ICANN can champion good strategy and best practice within its remit.
ICANN can champion good strategy and best practice as a stakeholder in
that wider remit. However, ICANN does not have the authority to dominate
or determine national and multilateral policy. Its role there is as a
stakeholder, hopefully pressing for the common good, and certainly
trying to protect the boundaries of its own remit.  That is as clearly
as I can say it so I will shut up and return to supporting the best RDS
policy ICANN can craft.

Sam L.

On 6/22/2016 2:58 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Let me point out that for the sake of this discussion, ICANN is not
> some third party; we are ICANN.  ICANN is all of the SOs and ACs and
> SGs and Cs; it is not just staff or the Board.  It is our task as a WG
> to try to develop answers to the questions that have been asked and
> develop policy if possible for an RDS system.  The  GNSO Council will
> then decide whether we have followed proper procedures and process
> and, if so, forward our policy recommendations to the Board.  Nothing
> can become policy unless the Board approves it and they have a
> responsibility to respect the multistakeholder process that we are all
> a part of in ICANN.
>
> Chuck

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852