[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] WG Rhetoric

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Thu Jun 23 20:50:49 UTC 2016

I am pleased to see that the rhetoric on the WG list has calmed down.  I hope it is not just because people are offline while traveling.

As chair of the WG I am fully cognizant of the fact that the topic we are discussing is very contentious. While we all realize that people have differing opinions on this subject, I want to caution everyone to remain respectful, to avoid personal attacks on individuals or organizations and to try to avoid using terms that some may find offensive.  I understand that what is offensive to one person may not be to someone else but suggest that we try to error on the side of caution as much as possible.  On the other hand, I also ask everyone to try to give others the benefit of doubt if possible, realizing that we come from many different cultures and backgrounds.

Finally, if anyone finds something offensive, please inform the offender in private first if you are comfortable with that.  If you are not comfortable doing that, then by all means inform the leadership team.  I can only speak for myself on this but I am guilty of not readily recognizing offensive terms because I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and because I often read messages too quickly, so I may need a nudge.  I thank those of you have given me that nudge.

I am looking forward to seeing many of you in Helsinki.