[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Apologies, and some reflections on requirements

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jun 30 20:06:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 07:51:58PM +0000, Mark Svancarek wrote:
> One more comment regarding who collects the data and who they share it with: privacy proxy services can sit between the registrant and registrar - Andrew's models didn't explicitly  mention that.   Keep that in mind when we discuss what is collected, who its shared with, and where its stored.

Well, yes, but from the point of view of the registration system the
registrant is actually the proxy service.  The "real" registrant in
effect has an agreement with the proxy service that the proxy service
will abide by the "real" registrant's instructions.  It's a matter of
contract whether that happens, of course -- the registrar simply can't
tell who the "real" registrant is.

I sort of alluded to this in my original remarks.  This is also part
of the reason why I think the entire "accurate whois data" shuffle is
such an absurd waste of time.  There is literally no way to prevent
these kinds of proxy registrations from happening, because the actual
proxy activity happens outside the registration context.  One can of
course make them more expensive with increasingly baroque rules, but
that's not the same thing as somehow managing to make them disappear.

(Compare this with the "sublet" market for rent-controlled apartments
in some jurisdictions in order to see why this is the case.)

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com