[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [renamed] Key early questions

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Tue May 10 07:31:02 UTC 2016

On 10/05/2016 1:53 AM, Greg Shatan wrote:

> It seems to me that framing (or attempting to frame) certain purposes
> as "primary" and others as "secondary" is also putting the cart before
> the horse.  We would first need to discuss whether the concept of
> "primary" and "secondary" purposes is valid, what the utility and
> purpose of such a classification is, and whether it is relevant to our
> work.  We would need to consider if there are other classifications
> within that system that make sense ("tertiary" purposes), and if there
> are other ways to classify purposes that make more sense, and should
> be used instead of or alongside this classification system.

But these are basic data protection concepts, very well established
around the world.  Surely starting de novo doesn't mean reinventing the
whole legal framework of data protection.  One might as well start by
redefining the English language.

--

Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en