[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [renamed] Key early questions

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed May 11 22:38:45 UTC 2016

Sam

Just my personal thoughts on some of this, as one of “the Irish” .. and also one of the people who raised the legalities etc.,

An important point to note.

There is a big difference between data collection and data publication, as has been noted by others in relation to a variety of subjects that have been discussed.

The current whois is problematic for some actors as there are no proper controls over who has access to the data – it’s basically an “all or nothing” system.

While some people may wish to argue that too much data is collected, or that the data is used in ways for which it wasn’t originally intended, the key point is that people and organisations have developed legitimate reasons for wanting to access the data and for using it.

Whether I personally like every valid use of registration data or not isn’t important, what is important is that there are valid purposes that exist “out there” which cannot be completely ignored.

So when discussing any potential replacement for the current whois it is important to take note of many valid uses of registration data.

We cannot discount them and ignore them completely.

However how much and which data should be made public to everyone without any access controls is another matter entirely.

Taking a more technical angle on this.

In the case of nameservers, you would not be able to do a zone transfer from our primary nameservers, as that access is restricted. If, however, you were on a whitelist of some kind ie. we “trusted” you, then you could get that kind of access.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon