[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Work Plan for Approval - updated per RDS PDP WG 10 May meeting

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Thu May 12 01:51:27 UTC 2016

I can assure you that the leadership is fully aware that Phase 1 is to determine whether or not a new RDS is necessary, and the work plan has been created with that goal in mind. The significant work performed on issues such as data protection, data elements, purpose, etc so far is work that may either inform a plan for a new RDS, or inform a plan for what changes may be necessary to WHOIS. 

If you have specific changes you would like to suggest to this work plan that would refocus on that goal, please suggest them. 



> On 11 May 2016, at 7:17 PM, TXVB <ncuc at jollyrogers.email> wrote:
> I strongly object to this work plan. Per the charter we c are first to determine *if* a new RDS is needed. Everyone in this group seems to have accepted the idea of a new RDS as fait accompli, and hastely rushing ahead.
> -------- Original Message --------
> On May 10, 2016, 9:32 PM, Lisa Phifer wrote:
> Dear all, 
> Attached please find an updated draft of the RDS PDP WG Phase 1 Work Plan for WG approval. 
> Change marks in this update reflect edits to address feedback (below) from today's WG call. 
> During today's WG call, WG members on the call approved publishing this work plan, with the understanding that work plan details are dynamic and will continue to evolve. 
> As indicated in Action Item #3 below, WG members not on today's call are now asked to review this work plan and raise any serious objections to this email list by COB Friday 13 May.
> If no serious objections are raised, this work plan will be published on the WG's wiki. The WG will then continue on to the next tasks identified in this work plan. 
> Best regards, 
> Lisa 
> At 11:50 AM 5/10/2016, Marika Konings wrote: 
>> 3. Discuss updated Phase 1 Work Plan - RDS PDP WG
>> See latest draft distributed on the mailing list (dated 5 May)
>> Adjust date for 7e based on actual circulation date of SO/AC/SG/C outreach message
>> Item 8 - any and all requirements could be identified here, does not only need to relate to purpose. Possible list of requirements, no substance or analysis yet - will happen as part of the deliberations.
>> How to avoid mixing process with substances?
>> Helsinki meeting could be used to get input from others, also should additional materials and/or webinars be prepared to facilitate the preparation of SO/AC/SG/Cs
>> Are the timeframes realistic for item 8c - what is expected from the WG? At this stage, the WG is not asked to express their opinion on the requirements on the list, but only to add any that are missing which will be added without discussion. Following that, the document will be reviewed for possible duplication and re-grouping.
>> Need to differentiate between what Registrars collect as part of their business practices and what ICANN requires Registrars to collect them as part of accreditation and contractual requirements. This makes ICANN a data controller according to some. Others note that the people or bodies that collect and manage personal data are called 'data controllers'. 
>> The list is POSSIBLE requirements - whether they will become requirements will be determined by the WG after deliberation.
>> Step 9 to be refined after step 8 - will need to determine whether further outreach will be needed and in what form. Need to update dates as the current ones are not realistic.
>> Leadership team will aim to keep the WG moving forward, but cannot overrush it either.
>> Update in step 13 reference to 12e, not 12d
>> Is there anything in this work plan that anyone seriously objects to? Is this work plan, understanding that it is dynamic and it will change, sufficiently good enough for the WG to consider it final and for the community to see? Note, dates will be updated as concerns have been expressed in relation to some of the dates that do not reflect the current timeline. No objecctions expressed by those on the call - draft work plan considered good enough to move forward.
>> Action item #2 - make sure that dates in work plan are realistic (see for example item 9, item 10) 
>> Action item #3 - Those that were not able to attend the meeting are requested to provide their input on is there anything in this work plan that anyone seriously objects to? Is this work plan, understanding that it is dynamic and it will change, sufficiently good enough for the WG to consider it final and for the community to see? Deadline: by the end of this week (Friday COB wherever you are).
> _______________________________________________
> gnso-rds-pdp-wg mailing list
> gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org
> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/gnso-rds-pdp-wg

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rds-pdp-wg/attachments/20160512/4e39c59d/attachment.html>

More information about the gnso-rds-pdp-wg mailing list