[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Notes and action items - RDS PDP WG meeting

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Wed May 18 06:12:36 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find below the notes and action items from today¹s RDS PDP WG

Best regards,


Notes & Action items ­ RDS PDP WG Meeting ­ 18 May 2016

These high-level notes are designed to help PDP WG members navigate through
the content of the call and are not meant as a substitute for the transcript
and/or recording. The MP3, transcript, and chat are provided separately and
are posted on the wiki at: https://community.icann.org/x/C4xlAw.

1. Roll Call / SOI
* Reminder to state names before speaking for transcription purposes
* Please remember to mute your microphones when not speaking
* Remember to keep your SOIs up to date
2. Work plan - next steps
* Work plan now considerd adopted
* As per the WG charter, work plan will be communicated to the GNSO Council
* Work Plan has been posted on the wiki
* Staff will update the Work Plan on an ongoing basis to update dates and
mark items that have been completed
* It is the expectation that the WG will come back to the WP from time to
time to ensure that work is still on track and/or make any updates as needed
* WG is currently at step 8 of the work plan
3. Introduction to draft possible requirements documents and discussion of
next steps
* Key to explain background and approach of document first to ensure there
is a common understanding of this document and how it should be read
* Per the Board's direction, starting of with possible requirements from EWG
Final Report - that does not give those requirements any special priority.
WG will be asked to add to the list, using the sources and input that has
been gathered by the sub-teams. Eventually SG/Cs will also be asked to
provide input. Also possible to identify requirements that didn't come from
any of those sources.
* Initial list will be compliled without any debate on the merits. Following
that, deliberation will be done in a systematic manner, going through each
of the proposed requirements to determine whether these should be included
in the list of proposed requirements or not.
* The possible requirements listed in this document are organized as
follows: 1. Possible Requirements that map to one or more of the eleven (11)
questions in the charter. Note that the same requirement may address
multiple questions. 2. Possible Requirements that may not map to any
question identified in the charter. 3. Possible Foundational Questions that
must be answered based on all other requirements.
* Way they are currently grouped in 11 charter questions is not fixed -
requirement may fit in more than 1 question and/or move requirements around
* Requirements are not included in any specific order
* Will be an iterative process going through these
* See notation section in the document to understand the references by which
possible requirements have been identified
* For further details on the associated questions, please refer to the
* Some proposed requirements are quoted verbatim, some were not possible to
quote as they were more implied - flexible about how it is included. Those
that are quoted are in between " ".
* For sorting purposes, update numbering to 01, 02, 03, etc.
* Possible requirements do not have to be (and probably won't be) specific
to today's WHOIS - starting from a clean slate approach.
* Order of proposed requirements may not necessarily be the order of
deliberation - it is currently ordered in this way following the order of
the charter.
* Indented proposed requirements indicate relationship with previous
proposed requirement
* How will coding work if there is no reference doc? If there are
suggestions that are made on the email list, for example, that link would
then be included as the source. Importance is to be able to link it back to
the original source, whether that is a document, report or individual
* D# refers to the source of the possible requirement, whether that is a
published document, an email message to the WG, or even WG meeting notes.
Those are all sources - the idea is merely to be able to find the source
when the time comes to deliberate.
* Some proposed requirements may overlap or be duplicates - that will be
dealt with in the deliberation phase.
* The process framework alignment is intended to help guide the WG in
focusing on possible requirements to be dealt with in phase 1, deferring
policy definition and implementation guidance to future phase.
* See top of page 22 - current version of possible requirements cover the
first five questions of the charter. However, cross-curring questions have
been included as place-holders to be expanded later and to allow for
possible requirements to be moved or added.
* Foundational questions to be found at the end of the document.
* Next step is for WG to review this initial list of possible requirements
and WG to supplement to the list (not to evaluate, only add). See step 8c of
the work plan. Deadline for input according to the work plan: 31 May.
However, not unlikely that additional possible requirements may be
discovered further down the road.
* By 2nd June, create a second list of the possible requirements which is to
serve as a foundation for the WG deliberations, as well as outreach to the
community to identify any requirements that may have been missed.
* Before diving into deliberations, need to agree on approach as well as
method for assessing consensus.
* Deliberation (pros / cons, whether it should be included as a requirement,
etc.) will only happen once a full list of possible requirements has been
developed - WG will do this in a systematic way e.g. by category.
Action item: WG to review this initial list of possible requirements (to be
circulated to the mailing list shortly) and WG to supplement to the list
(not to evaluate, only add). Deadline for input according to the work plan:
31 May. 

4. Planning for Helsinki meeting (Cross Community Session - Monday 17.00 -
18.30, F2F meeting - Tuesday 8.00 - 12.00)
* WG must consider how to use the Cross Community Session in the most
effective manner
* Objective is to allow discussion of issues that are of broad interest with
all those in attendance and feed into WG deliberations
* It will be important that ahead of this meeting the WG inform attendees of
background materials to prep for the Cross-Community Session. The intent is
that as little as possible of those sessions are one-way presentations.
* Suggestions are welcome as to how to best structure the Cross Community
Session to be interactive and gather useful input
* WG session will be 4 hour meeting. It will be a regular WG meeting with
remote participation for those not in attendance. In addition, non-WG
members can also participate as guests.
5. Next steps / confirmation of next meeting
* Tuesday 24 May at 16.00 UTC

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rds-pdp-wg/attachments/20160518/ab929a57/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/pkcs7-signature
Size: 4599 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rds-pdp-wg/attachments/20160518/ab929a57/smime.p7s>

More information about the gnso-rds-pdp-wg mailing list