[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] While We Make Hay.....

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sun May 22 17:49:18 UTC 2016

ICANN within ICANN can do virtually nothing here. The data mining of
everything but blood type and DNA is endemic to the app world. Most
people do not read the details of the permissions and do not exercise
caution while they are online. Tracking the geo-location of users is
also endemic, but resides on the national policy remit outside ICANN's
own remit. As far back as 2011 in Taher Square one could publicly
download an Apple app that identified in real time the location of
Tweeters as they stood in the Square and Tweeted on their cell phones.
Good thing there were not micro drones.

At most ICANN can look over its fence and advise both end users and
governments about their policies. Good privacy and security policy in
this area will require vastly larger cohorts from ICANN's constituency
groups directing additional energy at Internet ecosystem policy making
outside of ICANN.

Maybe we need A tee shirt here. The front saying ICANN DOES ONLY WHAT
ICANN CAN; and the back saying ICANN CAN DO BETTER BUT NOT MORE.

Sam L

/On 5/22/2016 12:59 PM, nathalie coupet via gnso-rds-pdp-wg wrote://
/
> /Excellent, Carlton! I don't know whether we'll be able to do anything
> useful with Whois, now. Please convince me otherwise!! /
> //
> /Nathalie /
>

> On Sunday, May 22, 2016 12:50 PM, Carlton Samuels
> <carlton.samuels at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> ..in the meanwhile, here's what's happening in the real world.....
>
> http://news.mit.edu/2016/twitter-location-data-homes-workplaces-0517
>
> https://audiofingerprint.openwpm.com/
>
> -Carlton

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852