[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Sign-Up Sheet - Task 8

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Thu May 26 14:48:09 UTC 2016

Dear Ayden:

I have several questions about your summaries; I suggest that they need further examination, and revision, before they are added to the list.

I am not sure how you derived some of your requirements from the source UN document.  These are non-exhaustive examples:

·        The UN doc said:  "Contemporary research over the past five years has highlighted ever-increasing concern of citizens with the ease with which their good name and reputation may be attacked and destroyed on the Internet as well as the sense of helplessness that is felt by many netizens when seeking safeguards and remedies in cases of defamation and/or breach of privacy."  That is not a policy statement or requirement from the UN, and the document does not say that online systems must be designed to protect people’s reputations.  So I am not sure how you got from there to here: “The RDS must not be used to allow the good name and/or reputation of a citizen to be attacked and/or destroyed. There must be concrete safeguards protecting privacy, and real remedies for violations to privacy, dignity and reputation online which are or were enabled by the RDS.”

·        Another of your summaries is: “If there is gated access, the RDS must feature strong encryption.”  I do not see where this UN document makes any recommendations about the use of encryption.  It notes that there is concern about back-doors to circumvent encryption, and does not go so far as to say that back-doors are against UN policy.

·        The UN document does not say that RDS systems “must foster cyberpeace.”  It says “The SRP is firmly of the opinion that Cyberspace risks being ruined by Cyberwar and Cyber-surveillance and that Governments and other stakeholders should work towards Cyberpeace. In this sense at least, privacy protection is also part of the Cyberpeace movement."  In context of the document, that's a statement about cyberwar and mass state-sponsored cybersurveillance (cf Snowden).  Those things are not about anything like access to domain registration records.

Also, heaven help us if ICANN is responsible for fostering world peace.

I also have an observation about attribution and precision.  The document you summarized makes general statements about privacy and related subjects.  It never refers specifically to WHOIS or domain registration systems, or to any specific data collection systems.  So when you summaries say “The RDS must” do one thing or another, it makes it sound like the UN Special Rapporteur was writing specifically about RDS systems.  I am sure this was unintentional.  There are other documents that specifically talk about RDS systems and domain data, and I just suggest that the WG must be clear about what authority said what about what.  Direct quotes from sources are preferable.  That may not always be possible, but I think your summaries went beyond paraphrasing.

With best wishes,
--Greg