[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RDS Statement of Purpose

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Fri Sep 9 17:48:22 UTC 2016

"Supporting the lifecycle" is different from "managing a domain".   For example a contact update or a nameserver change is not a lifecycle issue.  Yes those tasks are allowed to take place at certain phases in the lifecycle, but that's the extent to which they are related to lifecycle.   See https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/gtld-lifecycle-2012-02-25-en for a graphic of the typical gTLD domain lifecycle.  (Yes, there are some exceptions like Pending Create etc.)

We know RDS needs to provide data that lets parties manage domains, and an RDS must reflect info related to domain management tasks.   An example is the registrar-to-registrar transfer.  In ICANN policy, registrants have the right to use the registrar or their choice.  Info provided by WHOIS tells the name of the current sponsoring registrar, whether there are transfer-prohibited or pending transfer statuses on a domain, and the registrant listed in WHOIS is the party designated in ICANN policy as a party that has the right to request a transfer.  There are many other examples.

I think Greg Shatan brought up some good questions.  I do not know whether Jim is suggesting "managing the lifecycle" as a minimum standard (i.e. RDS must at a minimum support the life-cycle of a domain name, to which other elements can be added), or a limiting standard (i.e., RDS must not do more than support the life-cycle of a domain name, to which other elements can be added only if they fit within the "life-cycle of a domain name"), or a "primary purpose" standard, where other elements can be added, but they would not be considered a "primary purpose".

I do know that published registration data has uses and justifications for its existence and use other than managing the domain's lifecycle.  For example there is the need to identify a registrant for various legal purposes, some of which (like UDRP) are enshrined in current ICANN policy.  So "supporting the lifecycle" may be a mechanical and possibly exclusionary or reductive lens through which to view the issues.

Jim said his thinking is adapted from SAC054.  Both Jim and I are co-authors of that paper.  I note the following; there was a thread about this on this list back in March:

1.   SAC054 does not list all the purposes for which data is collected, and does not purport to.  SAC054 focuses narrowly on data elements used to MANAGE the domain lifecycle and operations.  In other words, it focuses on some operational purposes, and there may be other legitimate purposes.  There may be data elements that are important or have a legitimate purpose other than functional management.

2.   SAC054 says: "This document contains an enumeration of commonly used data elements. It is not a list or recommendation of which elements are or should be mandatory versus optional.  Some technical specifications (notably the Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP) RFCs) denote certain data elements as mandatory to collect, and ICANN gTLD contracts make certain fields mandatory to display in directory services.”

3.   SAC054 says: "The SSAC makes no policy assertions; rather, it presents the data model as a candidate or straw man for community discussion and consideration and as a basis for further development."

All that to say that Jim's proposed construct leaves a lot of issues to discuss.

All best,
--Greg