[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [EXT] Re: international law enforcement association resolution regarding domain registration data

Hollenbeck, Scott shollenbeck at verisign.com
Mon Apr 24 14:54:20 UTC 2017

Chris, in the note below I shared an actual example of an existing contact identifier/handle, "C270-LRMS". It's an identifier that's assigned by the registry when the contact is created, and it's guaranteed to be unique within the registry namespace. It can be generated in many different ways (hash values are certainly one possible way) as long as the final value conforms to the syntax described in the EPP specifications.

One thing that makes these identifiers interesting is that they, too, can be searched for in an RDDS. In theory, we could have a system that returned nothing but these abstract identifiers in responses to domain name queries. One would then have to issue additional queries to see the details behind the handle, and if the system were designed in such a way it would be possible to restrict access to this information based on whatever policies exist for access to personally identifiable information.

Scott