[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] international law enforcement association resolution regarding domain registration data

Paul Keating Paul at law.es
Thu Apr 27 11:36:40 UTC 2017

"Privacy laws in one part of the world are a factor we need to be aware of,
among other factors. ³

This seems to be the entire driving force behind considering a more
restrictive (gated) access to WHOIS.  If there are other reasons please let
me know.

Also, I have yet to see any legal authority that precludes:

Opt in registration for public WHOIS
For those not desiring a public WHOIS record, then the ability to use a
recognized privacy service so as to ³anchor" the registration of the domain

If one does exist can someone point me to the link?

A balancing of needs is important here.  Seems to me that the competing
interests here are not simply privacy vs. public access.  There are the
private interests of those who regularly use the current WHOIS data set for
any variety of purposes including:

Security research and prevention
Law enforcement
Highjacking recovery
Private transactions (confirmation of current and historical ownership)
Lending and financing transactions (confirmation of ownership to support
security interests)
Providing WHOIS and other data services to others

Paul

resolution regarding domain registration data