[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Proposed Agenda for RDS PDP WG Meeting Tuesday 25 April 16.00 UTC

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Apr 27 13:40:09 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 01:31:53PM +0000, Gomes, Chuck via gnso-rds-pdp-wg wrote:
> If and when the transition to Thick Whois is finished, would the need for links to some of the think data elements such as Whois URLs go away for other users besides registrars and registries?
>

> It would be good to hear from some of the other users on this.

I think that, rather than specifying these particular elements, we
should just concentrate on those kinds of data that are necessary for
the system to function.

RDAP works by referrals.  Under the "thick whois" regime, one doesn't
actually need these referrals.  But in my opinion, the reasons for
preferring the thick whois mostly go away under conditions where we
have a sane protocol like RDAP, and there are good data-protection
reasons not to like thick whois.  It is possible that the thick whois
policy will eventually run afoul of some data protection law (because
of jurisdictional differences between the registry and the registrar),
and if that happens we don't want any policy we come up with to have
to be re-opened.

When referrals are not necessary, I agree that they needn't be
required.  But I don't want to take out their use and classification
as "thin" data, because if thin modes of operation ever return we will
need these data elements.  (They'll mostly be invisible to users, but
they'll still be disclosed because that's how a referral works.)

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com