[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] international law enforcement association resolution regarding domain registration data

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Thu Apr 27 20:51:17 UTC 2017

On 27/4/17 5:23 am, John Horton wrote:
> After all, as a US citizen, why should I -- or a Chinese citizen, or a
> Brazilian citizen -- have the right to avail myself of the privacy
> protections afforded by the German government to German citizens?
> Those aren't meant for me.
>
> And, after all, why should privacy protections that apply to a
> minority of the world's population force a global change everywhere?

Because privacy is a fundamental human right recognized in the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights and not just an artifact of EU law.  Most
developed countries other than the United States have stronger data
protection laws than it does.  In fact we are currently suing the United
States government, as are others, arguing that it is in breach of the
U.S. Constitution, never mind the UDHR, for not upholding its citizens'
privacy rights strongly enough.  The accident of history that resulted
in a publicly available WHOIS database doesn't establish any kind of
legal legitimacy for that aberrant practice.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122