[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] international law enforcement association resolution regarding domain registration data

tisrael at cippic.ca tisrael at cippic.ca
Fri Apr 28 00:28:17 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-27 7:08 PM, John Bambenek wrote:
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 27, 2017, at 17:54, "tisrael at cippic.ca
> <mailto:tisrael at cippic.ca>" <tisrael at cippic.ca
> <mailto:tisrael at cippic.ca>> wrote:

>>> This is exactly what I advocate.  Literally check a box, uncheck a
>>> box... hell, I'll even pop for making some videos and a website
>>> explaining to consumers the pros and cons of doing both.
>> It doesn't sound like this is what you're proposing at all though.
>> You seem to be saying there should be a searchable database for at
>> least some thick WHOIS data items even if someone chooses the
>> 'private' stream.
>
> As far as I am concerned the only data besides "PRIVATE" the needs to
> be shown in that case is nameservers (the domain wouldn't work without
> making that public somehow anyway). I would like registration,
> renewal, expiration dates. Other than that, they marked their info
> private, its private.

>>> The question then becomes on what data fields is that true.  Lots of
>>> data is stored by registrars... I don't need, for instance, credit
>>> card information (well, I do, but those requests are handled via law
>>> enforcement).  In Canada, google shows a variety of things that let
>>> me search property / title records... as a rough analogy, why is
>>> what we
>> I'm not actually familiar with a google-able property search but
>> presumably the key difference would be that ownership of a property
>> doesn't in effect reveal anonymous activity of the type you would be
>> undertaking on an otherwise anonymous website.
>
> See above but I would dispute domain registrant info anyway unmasks
> any activity on an otherwise anonymous website. All it says is who
> owns a domain.
Ah my apologies, I totally misunderstood. I mean I don't have an issue
w/name servers and date of registration etc. CIRA's approach to
anonymous WHOIS is reasonable:

        WHOIS search results

    *Personal information about the holder of this domain name is not
    available in the search results because the registration is privacy
    protected.*
    Interested in contacting the holder of this domain name? CIRA offers
    an online Message Delivery Form
    <https://services.cira.ca/agree/mdf/index.action> that allows you to
    send a message to the Administrative Contact for this domain name.

    *Domain name:* 	  	XXXXXX.ca
    *Domain name status:* 	  	registered
    *Creation date:* 	  	2015/01/09
    *Expiry date:* 	  	2018/01/09