[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Chuck's comments on the Draft ICANN FY18 Operating Plan & Budget

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Fri Apr 28 22:23:32 UTC 2017

Note that I submitted the following comments to the public comment forum for the today:

"I submit these comments in my capacity as Chair of the Next Generation gTLD RDS to Replace Whois PDP Working Group (RDS PDP WG).

In communications among WG members over the last few weeks and especially over the last several days, the possibility of the WG needing independent legal expertise in early FY18 regarding the European Global Data Protection Requirements as well as Privacy and Data Protection Requirements in other regions of the world has become increasingly pronounced.  Ideally it would be best if the details could be scoped out in these comments but that is not possible because the comment period ends today and because the need is just now becoming particularly evident.

Therefore, I would like to request that the following be done in the next 2 to 3 weeks by ICANN staff in cooperation with the leadership of the RDS PDP WG:

1.      Define the scope of the legal advice needed as best as possible.

2.      Confirm whether the Draft FY18 Operating Plan & Budget contains sufficient funds to cover the need.

3.      If additional funds are determined to be needed, modify the Draft Budget to address the need."

They are posted at http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-fy18-budget-08mar17/2017-April/000017.html .