[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contractibility, PBC and required contact methods....

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Aug 24 15:56:38 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 05:32:26PM +0200, Volker Greimann wrote:
> Does it really make any difference for anyone to have seperate Registrant,
> Admin and Tech contacts if they all hold the same data?

They need not be separate data at all.

EPP -- which is the required protocol for all GTLDs -- uses the notion
of contact objects.  You create a contact object, and then when you
create a domain object you associate to it some number of contact
objects.  So, from the point of view of how the data works, you have this:

CONTACT OBJECT ROID regid-nnnn
CONTACT OBJECT ROID regid-oooo

DOMAIN OBJECT example.com ROID regid-mmmm
    REGISTRANT CONTACT ID regid-nnnn
    ADMIN CONTACT ID reg-oooo
    [&c.]

or maybe

DOMAIN OBJECT example.com ROID regid-llll
    REGISTRANT CONTACT ID regid-nnnn
    ADMIN CONTACT ID reg-nnnn
    [&c.]

Now, some registrar systems may not do this: they seem to create
separate contacts for everything.  All I can say is that they ought to
hire someone to provide them with a reasonable relational data model,
because this is a trivial and obvious relational database application.
There's no duplication of data involved, except perhaps the
duplication of a single foreign-key relation in an RDBMS, which is
approximately as cheap an implementation problem as one can find.

So, I really don't buy any argument from data duplication or the
difficulty of transmitting or storing all of this: there should not be
significant data duplication.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com