[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Contractibility, PBC and required contact methods....

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Fri Aug 25 14:14:39 UTC 2017

Why? Because there is many more reasons than just process service to
have that information, because you VASTLY overestimate the nature of the
privacy implications, and because they privacy risks of NOT having that
information outweigh the privacy implications of it being provided by
several orders of magnitude.

Land ownership records in the US are public. Hell, voting records are
public. There may not be RDS in front of them, but they're public.
Corporate reports and ownership records are public. We can go back and
forth on analogies all day, I'll win that argument, but that's not the
point.

Why should WHOIS details be public? Because it is necessary to provide
for the security and stability of the internet compromised of private
individuals and groups who are interconnecting with each other and have
to make decisions or not whether to do so.  Should individuals have the
right to privacy for WHOIS data, sure, that's why we have WHOIS privacy
and why we SHOULD have whois privacy FOR FREE on request to any
individual.  I return again to my point, this issue is primarily caused
by the monetization against individuals exercising their rights.

On 8/25/2017 9:06 AM, Volker Greimann wrote:
> One of these two examples is non-public though and non-authorized
> entities do not get access.
>
> But that is beside the point. If I want to serve a private individual
> in the US with a law suit for an infringement or damages caused by
> him, I need to find out where he lives on my own. If I get hit by a
> bike, there is no bicycle whois to help me. If I get hit by a Segway,
> there is no Segway whois. If I am pushed into a ditch by a jogger,
> there is no jogger whois. There is no citizens' register with their
> addresses. Try to serve someone who recently moved or who does not
> want to be found.
>
> That is what I meant by real-world examples.
>
> Why should the 99% of domain owners who will never ever be served be
> forced to provide their private details to a data registry where
> access may be limited but potentially is open to anyone?
>
> Volker
>

> Am 25.08.2017 um 15:58 schrieb Andrew Sullivan:
>> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:17:52AM +0200, Volker Greimann wrote:
>>
>>> Also note that many other real-world examples where legal service or
>>> process
>>> may become necessary do not have a whois-like database in place for
>>> easy
>>> reference
>> Yet other real-world examples of registries _do_ have such a database.
>> The land registries and the auto registries are two obvious examples.
>>
>> Best regards,

John Bambenek