[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Domain Name Management

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:57:11 UTC 2017

Sam,

>From my experience in doing or supervising a number of domain name
portfolio audits and due diligence on domain name acquisitions (often, in
the context of larger corporate acquisitions), I would say that Whois is
the centerpiece of the project -- not a "tiny part," as you conjecture.

Generically, a critical and essential phase of any due diligence or audit
project is checking the company's own records and the records of their
known providers against public databases.  Audits (or other forms of
internal or consultant double-checking) are a typical part of domain name
management

In such audits and due diligence projects, even where one has access to the
records of the domain name owner and/or their registrar(s), Whois is an
absolutely necessary check against those records.  Internal records can
(and almost always do) have mistakes or omissions, and even where you have
access to all of the registrar(s) information, there are often stray
domains that are owned outside of the registrars the company think have all
their domains.

Failure of Whois or RDS to provide this component of due diligence would
cripple due diligence, and most likely have knock-on effects, such as lower
confidence (and lower prices) in corporate domain name acquisitions and
trust in the DNS.  There would also be an increase in post-acquisition
clean-up, since the acquiror's pre-acquisition due diligence would be far
less likely to uncover inaccuracies.

The business community has been accustomed to thinking of domains as being
the type of asset where one has a third party doublecheck (akin to real
property title search and IP registrations, among other things).  Putting
domains into the category of independently uncheckable assets would be
highly detrimental.

Greg