[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Probably a question for later -- is "whowas" part of RDS? (was Re: Domain Name Management)

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Fri Dec 8 20:10:13 UTC 2017

> Em 8 de dez de 2017, à(s) 14:31:000, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> escreveu:
>
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 11:23:43AM -0500, allison nixon wrote:
>> What is your point?  The data was served from the original whois service
>> itself. It is evidence.
>
> It seems to me that the above is a question we're eventually going to
> have to address, but I think it's not today's problem, right?
>
> Nevertheless, it is an important issue to resolve: does the future RDS
> include "whowas", or does the future RDS only contain current state
> (the way the whois does today)?
>
> I propose we bracket the question and put it on the punch list for
> later, so that we can make the progress on the immediate questions as
> we commited in the last call to do.

I think determining whether the future RDS is only "who is" or both "who is and who was" or "who is, who was and who will be" ("who will be" for pending transfers) falls into the scope of the WG. Which option will be chosen is a matter of future discussion, but that wouldn't be mission creep, IMHO.

Rubens