[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Bigger Picture

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 20:33:29 UTC 2017

Thanks for this reply too. It's educational.

While I have no involvement with the ICANN community before this group, and
I know the WHOIS topic has always been this way, what you describe on the
community's lack of response does sound like a kind of paralysis brought on
due to lack of structure. Doesn't ICANN have a CEO and board who ultimately
set forth the structure? What are they spending their time doing while all
parties involved are fighting for their own survival?

Secondly, from all i have read about the data protection authorities, and
what they want, it certainly does look like clearly outlining the existing
legitimate use cases might help with the compliance issues. From all the
reading I've done, it almost looks like the data protection authorities
think registrars publish all this data for no reason at all. The GDPR laws
require legitimate purposes to publish data, and plenty of evidence of
these purposes have been put forth here, but have clearly not made it to
any of the discussions that actually matter.

The community can debate on whether or not (for example) 3rd party due
diligence is important, but it's not a matter of debate that 3rd party due
diligence exists and is conducted by law firms, security companies, etc.
It's simply a statement of fact. Why is none of this brought up in the
discussions that matter?