[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] New Year Challenge

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 3 19:56:35 UTC 2017

Happy New Year all! You are probably going to hate me because I am going
to slow us down again.  The problem is that we frame the discussion and
thinking so very differently, depending on the expertise that we bring
to this debate, that understanding the minutiae is very important.  For
instance on  a recent call I questioned whether an individual needed to
look at WHOIS to see who their registrar is, and was promptly corrected
in this matter.  Naive person that I am, I had never plumbed the depths
of the reseller business, and I am not finding much useful information
on the ICANN site that will help me do this (please help and point me to
how this happens, what kind of contracts pass on obligations, how this
is interpreted under DP law, why I cannot find my registrar on any of
the lists of ICANN accredited registrars, consumer protection
obligations under US law, how this works in the privacy proxy business
etc.).  IN my responses to the questionnaire, I have pointed out that it
is the registrars and registries or their agents that collect/generate
the Thin data.  The proposed RDS, which at the moment is still protean,
is not an entity, cannot collect etc, but is instead a display mechanism
or automated disclosure instrument.  So framing this in terms of
collection is in my view quite misleading, unless I am totally
misunderstanding the poll (always possible).

Anyway if anyone can help me understand how resellers work I would be
most grateful.  It would probably also save us a pile of time if I
understood it better, if that can possibly incentivize some brave soul.....

cheers Stephanie Perrin