[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] FW: Now open: 18 January Poll on Purpose

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:42:37 UTC 2017

Maybe its philosophical but it is intriguing, trying to separate that
notion of legitimate purpose (for collection) absent evidence of use (which
triggers disclosure). The prevailing narrative  - check the WHOIS Review
and EWG Reports - is that there are some elements of registration data,
largely resident in the set we call 'thin data', that serves fundamental
technical [legitimate] purposes and should ever be collected with
unfettered disclosure for said [allowable] use.

We still talking 'thin data' here, right?  Are we using this to re-argue
that legitimate purpose/allowable use kerfuffle?And is there a common
understanding of the constituent data elements of 'thin data'?  Surely with
the the years of WHOIS Review and recommendations, the 18-moth EWG slog
PLUS knowledge of the alignment of say -for example - of .eu
collection/access/display practice with that opined EU gold standard
privacy framework we would be past this?

-Carlton

*Carlton A Samuels*

*Mobile: 876-818-1799Strategy, Planning, Governance, Assessment &
Turnaround*