[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Now open: 18 January Poll on Purpose

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Jan 25 10:10:05 UTC 2017

David

I think the key thing is to remember that there is a very significant difference between “think” and “thin”.

While I would happily debate collection, publication and access to elements that fall solely under “thick” I cannot and will not when it comes to “thin” data, which is what we have been going round in circles with for the last couple of weeks.

Reviewing the thin elements briefly:

-          Domain – well if you don’t want anyone to know what it is why on earth did you register it?

-          Registrar – I can’t see any issue with that being disclosed and its disclosure actually helps

-          Registry – even if it wasn’t directly published in the whois (or its replacement) it’s very Highlander-esque, so it’s not hard to find

-          Nameservers – unless you come up with a magic protocol that allows for domain name resolution without actually letting anyone know which nameservers you’re using then this needs to be out there

-          Registration date – I can’t see an issue with this

-          Expiry date – ibid
And the rest of it is all just a bunch of EPP status stuff about last modified (though not by whom) and that’s about it ..

Now when we get into thick that’s a whole other kettle of fish ..

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon