[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Now open: 18 January Poll on Purpose

Hollenbeck, Scott shollenbeck at verisign.com
Wed Jan 25 17:15:55 UTC 2017

From: gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org [mailto:gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Michele Neylon - Blacknight
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 12:09 PM
To: Stephanie Perrin; Sam Lanfranco; David Cake
Cc: gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Now open: 18 January Poll on Purpose

Stephanie

Sorry, but policy + the technology go hand in hand. You cannot completely separate them and any policy that this (or any other) group produces needs to be technically possible to implement.

As to the specifics ..

I would argue that generated data is NOT collected, as it’s generated.

If you register stephanieperrin.com with us the only elements we are “collecting” that end up in in the “thin” data are:

the domain name string

the nameservers you’re using (and if you don’t specify any we’ll use our own)

All the other elements are NOT collected by the registrar or even the registry from the registrant, they are generated as part of the process of the domain being registered.

[SAH] Michele, some might argue that the registration period is also collected from the registrant and is then used to generate the expiration date at the registry. A case might also be made for status values like clientTransferProhibited etc. I agree completely that generated data is just that – generated.

Scott