[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Plan for 7 Feb call - Cancelling 31 Jan call

Lisa Phifer lisa at corecom.com
Sun Jan 29 01:47:59 UTC 2017

Dear all,

During our 24 February WG call, a number of questions were raised about
terminology and data protection concepts related to purpose. To answer these
questions and continue deliberation using that knowledge, the leadership
team is pursuing the following next-steps:

(1)   Our 31 January WG call is cancelled to allow time for WG member prep
for the 7 February call.

(2)    In our February WG call, we will build on deliberation about purposes
for "thin data" by turning our attention to the charter question on Privacy,
starting with the following:

Question 4.1 (revised): For "thin data" only -- Do existing gTLD
registration directory services policies sufficiently address compliance
with applicable data protection, privacy, and free speech laws about
purpose? If not, what requirements might those laws place on RDS policies
regarding purposes associated with "thin data"?

(3)    To prepare for this deliberation, in our 7 February WG call, Peter
Kimpian and Stephanie Perrin have agreed to present a brief intro to data
protection concepts related to purpose, providing an opportunity for WG
member Q&A.

(4)    In addition, all WG members are encouraged to use the cancelled 31
January call time to refresh their memory of the Privacy-related inputs
summarized by this WG:
https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/56986791/RDSPrivacy-InputsA
ndSummaries-24May2016.pdf. For example, see the Final Regulation (EU)
2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council (27 April 2016)
<http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv:OJ.L_.2016.119.0
1.0001.01.ENG&toc=OJ:L:2016:119:TOC>  and the regulation it supersedes
European Data Protection Directive, 1995
<http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=URISERV%3Al14012> .

These four steps reflect our plan for iterative deliberation, rotating
across the three charter questions. We will return to questions on Data
Elements and Users/Purposes once again after enough progress has been made
on Privacy sub-question(s) so that we can progress our thinking on "thin
data" key concepts (and then eventually deliberate beyond "thin data.")

Best regards,

Lisa