[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Review Tool for Responses from ccTLD Registry Operators' to Questions on Privacy, Data Protection and the GDPR

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sun Jul 30 16:23:11 UTC 2017

Hi Kris,

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 07:13:37PM +0400, Kris Seeburn wrote:
> Chuck,
>
> I pretty much agree on this but was just pointing out that they do come into the equation at some point and what we want to ensure does not get overlooked.

They do not "come into the equation", because that equation is not our
equation.  It's none of the naming community's business, except
insofar as maybe someone participating here also participates in the
numbers community and wants to point out to RIRs (who seem plenty
capable of noticing this on their own anyway) that they might have an
issue to confront.

IMO the most useful thing that came out of the IANA transition was not
the change in stewardship (which was a formality), but the new
understanding on the part of some people that ICANN does not make
policy for the Internet.  I am extremely sensitive to any suggestion
that we're going to slide in the other direction in this WG.  It's
nice that you've pointed this out.  I think there are people from
various RIRs here, and I think they are probably discussing it in
their community.  So I would request, respectfully, that we not bring
this external issue up any more.  This WG cannot solve privacy for the
Internet.  It can work on the already insanely broad issue for which
it is chartered.  Let us not make that problem any bigger.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com