[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] [For Background] APWG report on phishers use of Domain Name System

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Jun 28 17:23:01 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 10:03:34AM -0500, John Bambenek via gnso-rds-pdp-wg wrote:
> All public policy is balancing of interests, no one interest can take an
> absolute.

I agree, and I am not disputing this.  I just wanted to point out that
there are really, strictly speaking, three groups whose privacy comes
into play.  One is ordinary registrants who are not doing anything
illegal &c.  The second is those who have registered domains with ill
intent.  The third is the victims of the second group.  The argument
that whois registration contact data needs to be public because of the
ill behaviour of the second group needs to take into account that it
impinges on the privacy of the first group.  That's a distinction we
need to be sure we keep before us.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com