[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] a suggestion for "purpose in detail"

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Mar 22 14:56:12 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 09:30:37AM -0500, John Bambenek via gnso-rds-pdp-wg wrote:

> Making most of the fields optional/maskable means we don't have to adopt a one-size fits all approach.

But there's a big difference between "optional" and "maskable".  Data
that isn't collected can't be disclosed, at all, ever, to anyone,
because the collector doesn't have it.  It cannot be delivered in
response to a subpoena.  It cannot be leaked due to attacks on the
database.  It cannot be subject of "just this once" requests from law
enforcement or identity thieves doing social engineering or creeps who
want to spy on their old girl/boyfriend.

Data that is masked or otherwise controlled in disclosure is still
there for the taking; we're just arguing about the conditions.

And that's why we're talking about data collection first.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com