[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] authoritative

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue May 2 11:14:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 12:29:00PM +0200, Paul Keating wrote:

> By ³Authoritative² are we meaning that

I thought the recommendation was that we weren't meaning _anything_,
and that we just weren't going to use the term.

> the data is most accurate (closest to the source)

This conflates two things.  The accuracy of the data is irrelevant to
the source of the data.  If I put lies into my registrar, the data is
by definition inaccurate.  That distinction is certainly important,
and the fact that many people seem not to make it consistently is a
good reason not to use the term "authoritative", even if the latter
term havs a clear technical meaning.

> That it is the one to be relied upon regardless of how close it is/was to
> the originating source.

This is conflating some other issues, because we were never going to
ask postal authorities for my "real" address in the whois.  They don't
run whois servers.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com