[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Participation Rules

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed May 3 18:15:48 UTC 2017

Please note that the temporary moratorium I placed on list discussion is no longer in place but everyone is asked to follow the following rules that were introduced and discussed in our WG call yesterday:

RDS PDP WG Discussion Rules

In addition to following GNSO Working Group Guidelines<https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-08apr11-en.pdf> and ICANN Expected Standards of Behavior<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expected-standards-2016-06-28-en>, the following rules are intended to help this WG deliberate effectively, both on-list and during WG calls:

1.      Discussion topics must be narrowly defined.
3.      Ok to note dependency on another topic and state assumptions made, but keep focus on-topic.
4.      Members should be as brief as possible.
5.      Repetition of points already made should be minimized.
6.      Members must identify themselves in message text (for example, prefacing in-line responses with initials) so that others can easily determine who made those statements.
7.      Deliberation must follow the terms of the WG charter and will, unless otherwise decided, start with discussion of relevant elements of the EWG Report.
8.      Proposed WG agreements to be finalized in WG calls and decided through polling, not on-list.
9.      When starting a new topic, create a new email thread - don't reply to existing unrelated thread.
10.     When possible, identify charter question in Subject line (e.g., UP, DE, PR, GA).

These rules were drafted by the RDS PDP WG Leadership team after consideration of recent WG mailing list communication and suggestions offered by WG members.

Note that the rules apply to list discussion and meeting participation.

The leadership team will endeavor to enforce the rules as best we can so that our deliberations can be as productive as possible.  If anyone has any questions about the rules, please feel free to ask them.

As I think everyone knows, we will have lots of disagreements in this WG so that should not surprise anyone.  But as long as all of us do our best to be constructive and respect others' viewpoints even when they differ from our viewpoints, we can make progress.  We need to share our differences and diligently try to understand them but then we need to be openminded and creative to find ways to bridge them.

Thanks to all of you for the time you are devoting to this effort.