[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] authoritative

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sun May 7 17:31:14 UTC 2017

David & Andrew,

I can agree that the Source (or Sources) of the Data (Data of Record) is
a secondary consideration, answerable in part by technical solutions.
The key is that it is sourced in such a way that it is recognized as
Data of Record.

Once there is agreement on what should be the Data of Record (the DoR
fields) for (say) Thin Data, with (say) unconstrained access, there is
then the question of which access window(s) [locations (SoR) or
processes (blockchain)] provide DoR. As for "can be sure the data is
correct", that is the validity issue and separate from the Data of
Record and Sources of Record issues.

How good is the Data of Record? All one can be sure of is that the data
is Data of Record is retrieved in a process that has been agreed upon.
There is nothing in that process that can validate that the actual data
is correct. We hope it is and strive for near perfection, but that is a
separate issue and the responsibility primarily of whomever collects the
data in the first place (ISP, Registrar). A different set of processes
need to be in place to "be sure (or maximize the probability) that the
data is correct".

Consider: I got my cash from the ATM. There is gated access since I have
to verify that I have a right to access the cash. The machine is the
source, but the machine cannot guarantee that none of the bills are
counterfeit, That is the responsibility of those who stock the machine.

Sam L.