[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] RFC 2119 use (was Re: IMPORTANT: Invitation for Poll from 9 May Meeting)

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed May 10 16:33:22 UTC 2017

This is a topic that lawyers love to discuss as well (which may be why
other people don't love having discussions with lawyers...).  There are a
number of lawyers who write about drafting contracts who have covered this
ad nauseum.  I won't go and dig those up, since they don't constitute
anything official.  Having read a number of these articles, blog posts,
presentations, etc., my understanding of the usage of these words in
contract drafting is:

If you want to indicate that something is a requirement (i.e., mandatory),
use MUST or SHALL ("Shall" used to be favored, and is now less favored,
while "must" has become more popular in legal drafting -- but that's a
rabbit hole we don't need to go down).

If you want to indicate that something is recommended (i.e., it is the
favored outcome and not doing it requires an explicit decision based on
good reasons), use SHOULD.  (SHOULD doesn't show up in contracts very often
in my experience -- lawyers tend to dislike using "should" in most
contractual contexts, because it is vague and ambiguous, and gives the
other party plenty of wiggle room to avoid doing the thing. In other words,
anything less than a requirement is not a requirement at all.  Any party
who doesn't want to do a "SHOULD" action will be able to come up with good
enough reasons not to do it (and if they can't come up with good enough
reasons, they need a better lawyer).  "Should" statements are often
dismissed as "mere hortatory statements" -- words of encouragement rather
than requirement.  In a contract dispute, I would not want to be the lawyer
trying to prove that the other party was in breach when they didn't do a
"SHOULD"....)

If something is truly optional (either outcome is acceptable -- basically a
fork in the road) use MAY.  It can also be used to indicate several choices
for meeting a requirement (You *must* submit document x, and *may* use
email, fax, overnight courier or hand delivery)

I think the RFC 2119 sense of SHOULD is virtually identical (and it misses
the nuance to simply say that a SHOULD statement "can be ignored", since
turning away from a "should" requires a process, stated in the final clause
of the excerpt below):

SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

However, on the theory that contracts primarily set out requirements,
and that SHOULD does not state a requirement, I would recommend
staying away from SHOULD if we are trying to discuss things that will
end up in contracts.

So, while RFC 2119 is sensible, I would not use it as a license to
freely use "SHOULD" in contractual contexts within policy-making.  I
would also say that lawyers use MUST or SHALL a lot more often than
Section 6 (quoted by Andrew) would indicate.  In part this is because
contracts are often used to specify a single, agreed course of action,
even when other courses of action could be reasonable choices.  In
other words, contracts are often used to reduce choice in order to
reduce ambiguity and provide clarity about contractual compliance.

Greg (Shatan)

*Greg Shatan *C: 917-816-6428
S: gsshatan
gregshatanipc at gmail.com