[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] IMPORTANT: Invitation for Poll from 9 May Meeting

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed May 10 16:44:13 UTC 2017

Just to add a further observation on using "Should" and picking up on
Andrew's observation that "should" is an awkward word to use:

At the very end of Chuck's email he says:

In the future we *should probably* make sure that there is always a comment
box. (Emphasis added)
If "should" clearly meant "strongly preferred", why would Chuck (or
anybody) say "should probably"? I think this is because "should" in
everyday speech is *not* really understood to indicate a strong preference,
and is really closer to "may" in actual usage.  So Chuck, to emphasize that
this is a strong preference, added "probably."  Without the "probably," the
should is just a weak preference, closer to an option.  If Chuck were
following RFC 2119, he would never have said "probably" -- "should" would
have been enough to indicate a strong preference.

It's precisely for these reasons that avoiding "should" would be strongly
preferred.

Greg

*Greg Shatan *C: 917-816-6428
S: gsshatan