[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] IMPROTANT - Action Items and Notes from Next-Generation RDS PDP Working Group Call - 17 May 2017

John Bambenek jcb at bambenekconsulting.com
Thu May 18 14:47:05 UTC 2017

I was making more of a legal point. If I am not entitled to it in whois, how am I entitled to it in DNS considering registrars/registries are the common source for both?

In general, as I have said previously, the solution is that individuals (ie not companies) who own domains should be able to have whois privacy protection for free and be explained the impacts and implications of choosing that one way or the other. That SOLVES this security and privacy debate. Big business monetizing someone exercising their rights is, in no small measure, how we have this fight now.

That said whois info (even in nameservers) is useful for diagnostic purposes. Occasionally there are differences between the two that are relevant to a problem. Those accuracy issues can be relevant just like its relevant when I see domains you have with the phone number set to 000000000 even though that data is clearly wrong and no attempt was made to validate it.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 18, 2017, at 10:38, Volker Greimann <vgreimann at key-systems.net> wrote:
>
> I was speaking more in general.
>
> But even then, there is no need to look at this data in the whois, because that information is resolved without whois.
>

>> Am 18.05.2017 um 16:32 schrieb John Bambenek:
>> For thin data? If the answer isn't "the entire world" then for at least nameservers you are, quite literally, breaking the internet. If I am not "entitled" to know the nameservers of cnn.com in whois, I can't see how I am entitled to it in DNS. And if I can't get that, I can't get to CNN ever.
>>
>> But let's skip past the idea that we can just break DNS because *privacy* for a moment. A random consumer might want to validate some measure of information to diagnose their own problems or validate who they are talking to is who they intend? Are we going to make just normal internet users unconnected to any entity jump through hoops just to diagnose their own problems or protect themselves from fraud?
>>
>> Or are you intending to switch the debate to thick data now?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On May 18, 2017, at 10:20, Volker Greimann <vgreimann at key-systems.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Point taken. So why the opposition to requiring those who want to access certain information legitimize themselves?

>>> --
>>> Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.
>>>
>>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>>>
>>> Volker A. Greimann
>>> - Rechtsabteilung -
>>>
>>> Key-Systems GmbH
>>> Im Oberen Werk 1
>>> 66386 St. Ingbert
>>> Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
>>> Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
>>> Email: vgreimann at key-systems.net
>>>
>>> Web: www.key-systems.net / www.RRPproxy.net
>>> www.domaindiscount24.com / www.BrandShelter.com
>>>
>>> Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
>>> www.facebook.com/KeySystems
>>> www.twitter.com/key_systems
>>>
>>> Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
>>> Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
>>> Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534
>>>
>>> Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
>>> www.keydrive.lu
>>>
>>> Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

>>> Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Volker A. Greimann
>>> - legal department -
>>>
>>> Key-Systems GmbH