[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Wed May 31 13:43:57 UTC 2017

Thanks Chris.

Chuck

From: Chris Pelling [mailto:chris at netearth.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 2:24 AM
To: allison nixon <elsakoo at gmail.com>; Gomes, Chuck <cgomes at verisign.com>
Cc: gnso-rds-pdp-wg <gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

Another name essentially DNS zone holds the dns records, one of which is the SOA record.

From Chris on the move!

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 12:54 AM +0100, "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes at verisign.com<mailto:cgomes at verisign.com>> wrote:

   Email address in zone file?

   Chuck

   Sent from my iPhone

   On May 30, 2017, at 6:27 PM, allison nixon <elsakoo at gmail.com<mailto:elsakoo at gmail.com>> wrote:

      This leads me to my next question. Should members of the public be allowed to resolve DNS records at all without authentication and without prior authorization?

      >>Data that is gleaned from a file related to an individual, ie in this case their registration data, even if it is nameservers and the like, is their personal data

      Very good point. I applaud registrars who want to take a stand for privacy and stop sharing all nameserver data. It should remain completely private, so members of the public can stop resolving their domains.*

      *This compliment only applies to registrars in Spamhaus's list of top abused registrars. For the rest of you, if you want to do that you are essentially shutting down your entire business. If that is really what you want.............