[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed May 31 14:14:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 03:49:52PM +0200, Volker Greimann wrote:
> Do you have a study that supports this percentage?
>
> It seems you are protecting users by screwing over other legitimate users.

Nonsense.  This is the Internet.  If I am an operator and I don't want
to accept email from you because you just registered that name and I
find that suspicious, I get to make that decision.  The Internet works
by _voluntary_ interoperation, and you don't get to make rules about
my voluntary participation.  That has always been true on the
Internet, and there's nothing new about this.

The arguments about genuinely personal data -- things that
unquestionably allow identification of a human -- I have a great deal
of sympathy with arguments about PII.  But nothing in the thin data we
have been talking about comes anywhere close to identifying anyone,
and the data has genuine benefit for network operations.  I don't even
understand why this is up for debate.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com