[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

allison nixon elsakoo at gmail.com
Wed May 31 14:39:26 UTC 2017

>>You are ascribing motives to people that simply are not there. I do not
believe there is anyone participating in this working group because they
wish to, as you term it, “break technology”.

it's obviously ignorance rather than malice. Even when disregard was shown
to the security implications, it was not based in malice. Now that
disregard is being shown to basic functionality and troubleshooting, it's
still not malice and now it's very very funny.

Anyone who actually works with DNS would understand immediately why
labeling nameservers and A records as PII is laughable. For the rest of
you, below is a link with a very basic tutorial on how domains are actually
resolved. This is stuff we learn in our first year of school or work, and
should be at least partially understood by anyone that fancies themselves
an internet legislator.

Feel free to skip to the section labeled "Distributing the DNS Database:
Zone Files and Delegation". For any piece in that chain, globally revoking
public unauth access would take down the entire domain name system. This is
why the proposal is hilarious.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772774(v=ws.10).aspx

See, people here are so quick to point out situations where a feature
mildly annoyed them one time, therefore the feature should be dismantled.
But there is so much ignorance of how the features are actually used. If we
were real politicians, the late night shows would be writing skits about
this.

This debate over thin data is a culmination of this absurdity. I am
enjoying it thoroughly. Please continue.