[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Principle on Proportionality for "Thin Data"access

jonathan matkowsky jonathan.matkowsky at riskiq.net
Wed May 31 16:49:27 UTC 2017

I agree with Stephanie that the way to address the concerns are to make
sure users have provided informed consent. The registration agreement
should have a provision under applicable law.

On Wed, 31 May 2017 at 19:40 Stephanie Perrin <
stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> I think it is a very good summary.  One issue which we do not discuss very
> often is the fact that end users who register a domain name do not
> understand very well (if at all) what the implications for their privacy
> are.  A requirement of most data protection law is to provide transparency
> with respect to what happens to personal data.  This job, in my view, has
> not been tackled by ICANN in the required way.  So while I agree with the
> summary, it raises the issue, for those of us who do not understand what an
> SOA record is, what thin data is, how the DNS operates, etc. there is an
> obligation on ICANN, through its contractual control of the registries and
> registrars, to provide greater clarity about how personal data is managed,
> and what the risks might be for the individual.  Simply saying "Let's
> remember we are talking about the public, open Internet here. Nobody has to
> participate that doesn't want to, just like if I don't want anyone to see
> my license plate number on the road, I don't have to drive a car either. "  is
> not adequate.  (Licence registries, by the way, have become private in most
> jurisdictions because of the risk to registrants, so the chances of being
> stalked by some nut with road rage have mercifully decreased).
>
>  Stephanie Perrin
>
> On 2017-05-31 11:07, Gomes, Chuck via gnso-rds-pdp-wg wrote:
>
> I am open to disagreement, but it seems to me that Jonathan provides a
> good summary and maybe even a fair conclusion of the extensive discussion
> that has occurred on this thread since Tuesday.  Rather than continuing the
> extensive back and forth, which in my assessment is mostly repeating things
> that have already been said several times, I request that anyone who
> disagrees with Jonathan’s conclusions to identify what you disagree with
> and provide your reasoning.
>

> Chuck

jonathan matkowsky, vp - ip & head of global brand threat mitigation